Baring it All! - Going Bald for Cancer Research UK

What would you give to see me lose all my long hair?

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

56 Days - Bad Hair Day!


This has not been the best day ever!

First of all, I dropped my mobile yesterday, and the screen went blank. So, although the phone just about works (I think) I can't use it for phoning out or texting :-(

Secondly, I've had one heck of a morning with the car. A fuse has gone for the central locking. I've changed it 3 times in the last few weeks (the last time being last night). Luckily, one door remained open - which, ok, meant that I had to do an undignified slide in from the back, over the handbrake, and then pull my legs up to my chest to get them where they should rightly go - down in the pedal space!! Whilst congratulating myself that I was fit enough to make this lithe movement, I realised I had pulled a muscle in my hip - painful when I moved. But never mind, I was in...

All was fine until I dropped off my son to walk the dogs. Then, as he closed the door on the way out, I heard an ominous whirrrrr. Ignoring it until I got home, I did a reverse of the 'getting in' manouvre, with even more fun and games avoiding doing any more damage to the hip.... Only to find the back door was now also firmly locked! Help! [You think I should've just pulled up the lock? - fat chance! The lock had gone on 'immobilise' and wasn't budging, no matter how hard I pulled, nor how hard I stared at it, willing it up :-( ] So, I was trapped there. I wondered for how long.... It could be a while. And it would be really embarrassing if the AA had to come out and release me (if it were at all possible!)...

Oh yes, and of course I didn't have my mobile phone, because it was broken!!!

After about 5 minutes of running through the options (one of which was to smash the window), I suddenly realised (slow-bo that I am!) that the engine was still working, and that meant the window could open. Yahay! So, action the forward manouvre again - yow - start the engine, and open the window. All well and good, except there was still no-one around. I tried putting my arm out the window and unlocking the door that way. No go - firmly immobilised (very good if I was a joy-rider, or tea-leaving it, but I wasn't. I just wanted to get out.)

Brainwave number three - Aha! The window was open. I was fairly fit. Go through window? No choice. So, more manouvering. I turned round to the opposite door (ow again!), stuck my hands out and clasped the roof rack and pulled myself out. My neighbour, who's chair always faces the window and who can see the whole street, must have chuckled at the sight of me heaving myself, undignified, out of the car window! :-)

Later, I managed to find a spare fuse for the locking system, and opened the door and got in normally - which really must've made the neighbour question my sanity! Unfortunately, the fuse blew when I shut the door, so history repeated it self once more...

Anyhow, the point of all this rambling is that it was truly a 'bad-hair day', and there was a moment when I thought to myself 'if this is what a BH day is, then I'm better off bald!' :-)

4 Comments:

  • At October 26, 2006, Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said…

    Bald is not as bad as you think, I was amazed to see that I was still pretty. Quick to get ready too. Just the idea of a wig makes me itch. Keep your hair. My son cried when he shaved off the rest of mine. I think it is strange that we should meet. I am bald, have cancer, and there you are wanting to shave your beautiful hair off to raise money for cancer.
    Oh yes, chemo and radiation makes you pale but never green.

    The poem was a gift you may do what you want with it.

     
  • At October 26, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Thank you, angel feathers tickle me! My friend just lost her hair a couple of days ago. When she went bald the first time round, I had vaguely thought of shaving my head for cancer research, but I cowarded out.

    My friend had chopped off all her lovely hair beforehand, in readiness, so it wouldn't be such a drastic loss when it happens (though I don't believe it made that much of a difference (it's that final bit - the bit you have no choice in- that had the biggest effect))

    I am really pleased you are able to still look at yourself and see 'you', an obviously beautiful person, without the 'mask' of hair. It sounds like you have a confidence in who you are - that's important. Knowing that you are still there, still you, with or without the camouflage of your hair, is something I so respect.

    Funny, our hair is so important for our image, but when it's gone we see who we really are!

    Thank you so much for the poem - I've read it several times. I am going to put it in today's (26th Oct) blog for everyone to see, as I think people who are interested in what I am doing will like to see how well a cancer survivor such as yourself can still see the hope, still express beautifully what others would like to express. You are alive to the world - probably more than many who don't have to recognise their human frailty.

    Re. the green look - em, that's me thinking of 15 years of hair growth falling to the ground in a space of 5 minutes :-)

    Re. keeping the hair - Funnily enough, I was talking with my older daughter about that only yesterday - she asked what I'll do with it, and could she have a bit of it. I told her I was going to make 'skalps' of them, and hang them from posts at the school entrance! :-D Could sell them, I suppose, to see if it could raise a bit more funds? :-)

     
  • At November 02, 2006, Blogger Mohawk Chieftain said…

    I really like this picture. You... are HOT!

     
  • At November 03, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    mohalk chieftan - old picture!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home