Baring it All! - Going Bald for Cancer Research UK

What would you give to see me lose all my long hair?

Monday, November 06, 2006

Dona Nobis Pacem





44 Days - and 1/5th of the way to target!






To start, just a reminder where the Just Giving donation page is.

Now, the good news - we've just passed £200!!! That's one fifth of the way to the target! Thank you everyone who's donated so far :-D :-D

Recent donations have come from Pip (A special big thank you to her for all the help and advice she's been giving me too!) and from Penelope Brett (hope your daughter didn't bully you into it! :-) )

I can't remember if I answered Caroline Roberts's comment- hats are building up (I keep coming across them, and thinking 'that'll be handy!', and have some promised for Christmas too!) Luckily I have a little collection of my own anyway - I do love hats!!

Also, I have to say Kath, you are forgiven for putting me on the spot about speaking in assembly - You've been fantastic, getting the kids to go round with the collection boxes to all the classes in your 'house'! I don't know how much has been raised yet (I had my own collection to make - my daughter) but, whatever it is, thank you for your great help. (And yes, I will get round to talking with the other 2 houses about speaking in their assemblies.... ehm... plenty of time yet!). Oh, and of course thanks to the girls who went round with the boxes!!

Also got the sponsor forms in circulation - I have a few ideas where they might best be available for all the millions of sponsors rushing to sign up!! :-) The first one signed on the dotted line this evening - the lovely mum who's been looking after my daughter all day (Thanks Diane! :-)) . So, now there's another £10 in the pot (actually £12.50 with tax - I'll keep pushing this as it really does make a difference - another 25%!), so we're creeping up to a quarter of the way there already - isn't everyone being so fantastic!

On a last note, I was chatting to a small group of kids from the lower school at lunchtime. They'd started by commenting on my going bald, and asking why I was doing it. Having repeated about my friend Julia, and the reasons the baldness has significance for me, and having had the mickey taken about my future shiny scalp (and their amazement I was going to actually do it!) we talked ended up talking about how it was affecting one of the girl's mother's friend, and her friend's sister, and how it ran through the family.

Sometimes I can't comprehend how many people are affected, either directly or indirectly, by this disease (go to any holistic healer/ doctor, and they will remind you 'disease' means 'not at ease', so something that isn't sitting right with your body/ mind...) The sadness I feel each time I hear of another person who is living with it, doesn't blunten with the hearing (sometimes I wish it would! :-( ) but grows all the time.

Each person's (I shouldn't say 'pain' and 'hardship' - that's not supposed to help with being positive- though that is what I'm thinking), life challenges (shall we say) seems to accumulate... and I'm finding butterflies (actually, I think they're bats!) flying round my stomach. Because, in a way, although I'm trying to do something to help, I really don't feel I am. Small drops in the ocean, and all that...

But, I suppose, if we can only be a small drop, then we should all try to join a stream, and that stream to join the sea...

We do what we can.

(There was something else I was going to say today, but I can't for the life of me think what it was! Maybe I'll remember tomorrow...)

7 Comments:

  • At November 07, 2006, Blogger Carolina Cats said…

    You are absolutely helping and don't ever doubt yourself! We wouldn't have the treatments and knowledge that we have now if it wasn't for the little drops that thousands and thousands of people like you have raised with projects like this one.

    I know that here in the States, there are organizations that take hair and make wigs for cancer survivors, will you be donating yours for something similar?

    It will never be "just a haircut" - it will always be an incredible statement of your support for your friend Julia and all of the other people who are living with this disease and others.

    Something that beauty salons (not sure what you might call them) do here is they will hold a day of haircutting/styling where they donate the proceeds, or the people getting haircuts make donations. Have you considered talking with your local shops about taking part in that way?

    Or you could make a brochure/flyer with your website and photo and ask if they would post it and allow you to put a collection tin in their shops.

    Spread the word!!

    Best of luck and if mom can help with any more ideas, you can email her (she used to be a fundraiser person for the National MS Society).

    Lots of hugs & purrs,
    Finny & Buddy
    2CarolinaCats

     
  • At November 07, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Thank you so much for the pep-talk, finnegan & buddy... coming from such sleek cats, that means a lot to me!

    I'm considering about selling the hair for wigs; when I remind myself of the reasons 'why?' I have no doubts (thanks for another reminder); I hadn't thought about talking to hairdressers/ local shops about giving proceeds/ donations to charity; I have made a flyer now, and plastered the school with it - next the local village! My daughter's primary school have now got a sponsor form, and a collecting box, and are also going to write up about the 'haircut' in their newsletter...

    Getting there...

    Thanks for your little gems of wisdom- it's good to hear from someone 'in the know' :-)

    and tell your mom she's a special lady

     
  • At November 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful globe! Wishing you and your loved ones peace and joy that never ends! c",)

     
  • At November 08, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Right back at you irene! I hope your days are everything you could wish for...

     
  • At November 08, 2006, Blogger Carolina Cats said…

    Annelisa,

    Just had another idea for you! What if you offered donors the chance to pick your hat for a certain day? They would have to make a donation and supply the hat. I was thinking of sending you a hat from America and it occurred to me - I could see your students making crazy hats for you that you would have to wear if someone sponsored it for a day. What do you think?

     
  • At November 08, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Great idea finnegan & buddy! I already have a santa one with Mickey Mouse ears someone gave me to wear afterwards!

    My son made a very similar suggestion today - he thought I should let people pay me to wear different wigs for a day or 3.... So many ideas!

    Thanks, I'll certainly think about this. I meant to look into wig-makers tonight... it'll have to be next week now. I'll write a note to myself.

    Thanks for coming back!

     
  • At October 12, 2008, Blogger Mimi Lenox said…

    Your November 2006 peace globe has been placed in The Peace Globe Gallery.
    You are officially peace globe #1040.
    BlogBlast For Peace ~ November 6, 2008 is going to be awesome! Please spread the word on your blog. Hope to see you there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home