Baring it All! - Going Bald for Cancer Research UK

What would you give to see me lose all my long hair?

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

1 day... Bald-Eve

Ok, only going to say a couple of words...

yoikes!

Yoikes again!

(Anyone got a place to hide?????)

Going for a run in a few hours, to wear of some of the nervous energy. It's not just nervousness though. There's an excitement to it too... In less than 15 hours my hair will be whipped off my head - by drama teacher, Heta Lumsden (who was the only person brave enough to agree to do it in the end).... It will be a new era. You have no idea!

I'm already thinking differently. Like a person who has no hair, whose hair no longer dictates who I am. I'm even considering keeping no hair... because I'm realising I'm more than just my image. I'm more than a hairstyle, or face make-up. I am me. An inner me. Not just the me I project to the world. And I kinda like that me, and in that realisation can bear the thought of having myself exposed in the most dramatic, but baring way...

There's part of me that's scared of getting all emotional, and bursting into tears on stage. But there's also part of me that wants to shout out "It's just hair! It's not me!"

But, I also know I'm doing it out of choice, and it's not permenent. It will grow back (if I choose to let it).... although I'm hearing from a lot of people that it might grow back completely different than it is now. Some say it will grow back thickly, some say curly, some say it will be all grey, some say it will be soft... Well, whatever.... it is for me to find out. I'll let you know :-D

More than that, I know I'm shaving my head of all it's 73cm of hair for a very very good cause! If there isn't research, then what hope for the future? We all made a contribution... and we all hope that there will be a future where cancer doesn't rule our lives and deaths. I hope and pray that cures for all the different types of cancer will be found in the not too distant future, and that anyone who has cancer today might be helped by those discoveries. I hope, also, that there is a future for our children where the word 'cancer' doesn't strike up any more fear than the common cold - wouldn't that be cool? A world where you can go to the doctor with cancer, and (s)he would prescribe a medicine that would just reduce it within a week? Or, even better, where you could be vaccinated against it as any other illness...

The next post I do will be after the deed tomorrow - Wednesday- or rather, later today!!!

I hope to have pictures. I hope to have a video. I'll see what I can do. I know there's a lot of people who won't be able to be there. Hopefully, you can see what happens... I'll do my best, OK?

Thank you everyone who's made this possible.

and thank you everyone for supporting me.

I hope we've made a difference - I'm sure we have!!

4 Comments:

  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger Ashish Agarwal said…

    Great. You met your target, and doing this for a charitable cause makes it so much better.

     
  • At December 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awesome and inspirational girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!! now if you can only keep your ears warm through the winter........!! love ya' for what you did......have a lovely, joyful Christmas!! miss you too......

    red dirt kitty

     
  • At December 27, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Hello Ashish - I have to say, it's truly satisfying to have reached the target, and surpassing it was a real bonus! It was for charity, but also to stand solid with my friend, Julia (the reasons aren't entirely altruistic :-))

    But, hopefully, the contributions of the many, small or large, make a difference. It is as much the way everyone has contributed in some way that is so moving...

     
  • At December 27, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Hey Red Dirt Kitty! I presume you're in the Red Dirt Hills now - hopefully mellowing out...

    Thinking of you- hoping that things are on the up- and hope you're enjoying your holidays!!

    See you soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home