Baring it All! - Going Bald for Cancer Research UK

What would you give to see me lose all my long hair?

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Head Shave!!!

update (23 Dec 2006):
Ok, found out that connection that looks like a usb is a firewire, often used for transferring videos, which I don't have on my poor old scrubby pc. However, having spoken to my sister, it might be possible to put the video cartridge another camcorder, and transfer it to the pc that way. If worst comes to worst, and I can't find anyone beforehand, I might be able to do it after Christmas, when my sister comes a-visiting.
Really sorry for the delay!

update (21 Dec 2006):
Sorry guys- I've just had the video out, and realise I have the wrong connections on my computer for putting it up here - I'm going to have to get some advice on this, and it may take a while. I'll get the video up as soon as I know how to do it... It's worth waiting for - the atmosphere in the hall was brilliant!!



I'm afraid you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the video - Got to get it first on the pc, then onto Utube (and they take a while to OK it!), but until then, here's some pics to go on with! :-D





Going on Stage - the Evil teacher takes a hostage
and is going to shave her head as punishment




An wicked cackle fills the air, as the teacher
takes the clippers to the hostage's head





Here it goes...
and the minions sweep the floor,
not daring to leave any evidence





Head back to get to grips with the scalp





The shorn-off hair is thrown onto the hostage's lap





Only one last bit...




That's about it!






No, Oh No! Put my hair back on my head!!!





Yahay! It's all over! Let me outta here!




The Evil teacher (Heta Lumsden) and the tortured hostage











Wearing the Mickey Mouse Santa hat - oops, no one told me it was on crooked!


More thanks? Yup.


This time not for financial support. I have some thanks to give for moral and emotional support....


First to my friend and colleague, Pip Brett, who fanned the initial enthusiasm from a little spark into the full blown fire. She's had to put up with my rantings, my frantics, my bouncing ideas off her (she has the classroom next to my prep room, so there was no escape), and also, we have Pip to thank for standing throughout the head-shave itself, and taking all the photos (else we'd have nothing to look at just now, whilst I'm waiting to sort out the videos!!)


Also, to my other workmates - Liz, Karen and Lynne for being so darned patient with me, and boosting me up when I thought no-one was going to sponsor me :-) They also had to put up with a lot of erratisism in the last month... and they put up with me magnanimously! That goes for Iain too, who has the classroom on the other side to me...


And thanks also to my sister, Helen, who had to pull me out of the doldrums when I started to doubt whether I could make a difference, and for checking up my blog virtually every day giving me moral support. It helped!

And thanks to everyone who's visited here regularly over the last couple of months (you know who you are :-D ), leaving messages to let me know I wasn't doing this alone - especially when I was ill, and had little contact with anyone else - you saved my sanity!

And thanks to everyone else, who either came up with ideas, or pushed me a little further, or encouraged me to speak out in front of assemblies (not something I'm a natural at!) and for those who took initiative to make collections on their own - you were all fantastic.

But best of all are my kids!!! (how could they not be!!?!). I was really worried about their reaction to my being bald, and not only being bald, but doing the shave in front of the whole school where they attended. They might have been embarrassed. They might not have wanted me to do it. That would have put me in a right old quandry, because their feelings come tops. They not only encouraged me - they teased me; they wanted to know how I was doing, they encouraged their friends, they got involved, and donated their small change pocket money. In fact, they were brilliant! And they have continued to be afterwards. They had a laugh over my bald head, tried on my wigs and continued to check how the fundraising's going!

I also want to thank Mrs Edmonds for allowing me to carry out the fundraising and event in the school.

I'm sure there's more I haven't mentioned yet, so I'll say a big thank you to everyone!








27 Comments:

  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger goatman said…

    I looked like that once when I was drafted for service in VietNam!
    But your sacrifice was voluntary and to be congratulated. How do I contribute from US?
    Much respect to you is deserved.
    Goatman

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done Anne - bloody marvellous!
    Have a great Xmas
    Iain and co

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger QUASAR9 said…

    Well, I bet that took a while
    when you got up from the chair
    to see yourself with - no hair
    lol! must have brought a smile

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger QUASAR9 said…

    Annelisa
    ten out of ten for being so brave
    ten out of ten for the close shave

    but with the cold and frosty ice
    bet the xmas hat felt oh so nice
    now, have you got any crazy vice
    say which is your favourite spice

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger that frolicsome kid said…

    Oh, annelisa! I wish I was able to read up all your blog posts prior to shaving your hair! And, you did it! I truly salute your bravery and courage to sacrifice your hair to aid in cancer research. On behalf of the future generations, I thank you very much =D.

    I really couldn't imagine how it feels to lose one's hair. I saw a Chinese drama where this woman was beginning to lose her hair due to chemotheraphy from breast cancer, and she braved herself to accept it. Moved me a lot.

    Yahooo! You have just given the best Christmas gift ever =).

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger Mother of Invention said…

    That is so cool, Annelisa! You can see the electric current everywhere and on people's faces! It looks like it was really exciting! And you look so fine with it and your new LOW-NO Maintenance style! Post some pics with the blue wig!

    So great of you to do that.

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger I blinded you with Science! said…

    I started to cry. That's so incredible!!! You are such a beautiful person inside and out!!

    Everyone looked so psyched that you were doing it!!! I can't wait for the video!

    BTW, how does the peach fuzz feel? Can I call you peachy?

    Hugs!

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Morning Goatman! You were drafted for Vietnam? You did something I could never do! All I did was sit in a chair - you had to change your whole lifestyle, and I'm guessing what you went through was in a completely different frame of thinking (that I can't imagine was pleasant in any aspect) - The respect is mutual!

    You can still contribute on Just Giving - they are holding the account open for a year... and I there have been a few donors from the US, so it must be possible :-)

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Thanks Iain et al! Couldn't have done it without your support! Have a brilliant Christmas altogether (and enjoy the extra space :-) )

    Quasar9 - thanks for being with me all the way along! You've been wonderful, boosting me up when I got low. It was an amazing experience, and it's so funny now, when I catch a glimpse of myself in a reflection, and wonder who that is...then realise it's me!! :-D

    Afterwards I didn't need a hat for quite a while - the adrenalin was keeping me warm! :-) - but when I was standing outside later, seeing my sister off, I could literally feel the heat going out of my scalp! :-D

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Welcome back, Frolicsome Kid! Hope you had a grand time in Australia!

    If you'd seen me standing backstage beforehand, you would have seen a quaking mass (more about the going on stage in front of so many, rather than the head-shave thing, I have to admit!) - talk about cold sweat, jelly-legs, dry throat (it's still sore :-( )... the adrenaline was going something rotten. In fact, at one point I suddenly decided to go back to the lab for something, and I ran out the door, all the way up to the lab, got what I wanted (totally unneccessary :-) )and ran back again... if I'd got hit by a car, I don't think I'd have noticed, the adrenalin was pumping so hard!

    But, once I got on stage, and Heta threw me the first bit of hair, the kids in the hall suddenly realised it was really going to happen, and so got into swing of it - there was clapping and cheering and music... it was a real buzz, and I couldn't stop laughing 'cos Heta is such a great dramatist... every now and then there was a huge evil cackle from behind me and I just cracked up! :-D [yes, yes, I know I was supposed to be the poor hostage, but it really is hard keeping a straight face, when big candy-floss lumps of hair keep flying into your lap! :-D

     
  • At December 20, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Mother of Invention - yes, the atmosphere was truly sparkling. Everyone was in a great mood anyway, because they'd just watched the 6 Form performance of the Revue (which was really funny!), and Christmas break was less than 20 minutes away...

    But the kids have been fantastic all the way through! They have been so supportive and questioning, and sharing! They've raised a huge amount just in the collections between themselves, and they deserve to have a little fun!

    I have lots of hats, and some different wigs, which I'll do photos of later. I didn't get my blue wig yet :-( ... they didn't have what I wanted, and the one they had looked so totally wrong (though it might look entirely different now I have no hair :-D )

    Diana - You can call me anything you want, honey! The fuzz on top is quite soft and nice to touch, and it's weird touching the warm scalp!

    (Oh yes, and Heta found a scar I never knew I had - I've been wracking my brains to remember what I did to cause it... but no memory... maybe it'll suddenly pop up one day!)

    Unfortunately, I hit a technical problem with the video - haven't managed to actually get a connection to the computer. It will come - it's too good not to go to the effort of getting it on here! :-D - but I have to find someone who can help with the transfer (Peter, who so kindly took the vid, thought it had a USB connection, but when I looked at it, it was a lot chunkier, so I'm going to have to see if anyone else has got one...)

    Diana - this was for my friend Julia, your father, and all the other people in the world who've had to live with cancer. Sadly, someone at our school also died of it recently. My thoughts are with the family and friends.

    My heart goes out to all those who've lost a loved one - may your memories of them stay close and strong for all time. And may everyone who is living through cancer, live every day with the intensity of a lifetime!

     
  • At December 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so brave and giving. Have a happy holiday.

     
  • At December 21, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Just trying to do something, Brian - was feeling a bit useless and like i needed to somehow make a difference, however small...

    I really hope yous all have a happy holiday too!

     
  • At December 21, 2006, Blogger starbender said…

    Annelisa sweetie- U did it! (...and I think U look very nice without it) Some people look good and some, well, some look good and U are one of them. Cancer is such a horrible thing-U have picked a wonderful cause!

    Wishing U and U'rs a Very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

    : )

     
  • At December 22, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Thanks Starbender! Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas too!

     
  • At December 22, 2006, Blogger TopChamp said…

    Nice one.... but no blue hair?

    Will look out for some...

     
  • At December 23, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Hiya Topchamp! I did try on some blue wigs, but the light blue one made me look sick as a dog (could just've been the nerves speaking.. :-D) and the dark blue afro (which was my prefered colour) was a bit thin to the scalp... I have one in mind, but I have to order it!... I'll get one, don't'choo'worry!!!

     
  • At December 23, 2006, Blogger Mother of Invention said…

    Really, of all people to understand the tech problem and empathise, it would be me! And you tell me there's another peace globe day tomorrow? Surely you jest!!! My spirit will be there but my body will be resting!

     
  • At December 24, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Hiya MOI - At least I know what the problem is now - shame I can't fix it immediately (might even have to wait until school opens again to do it :-( ) but, I'll still try...

    tech problems... my pc's going mad while I sit here and write this! I think there's a button stuck somewhere, but blessed if I know where!

     
  • At December 25, 2006, Blogger Angel Feathers Tickle Me said…

    Throughout various stages of life, inspiration is the thought or idea reconnecting us to the energy we were part of prior to becoming a microscopic particle. I call this "surrendering to our destiny and allowing ourselves to hear the call." At this point we can differentiate between the demands of our ego and those of the ego-dominated people and institutions that deflect us from the call of inspiration. As we move more deeply into Spirit, we cease to be guided by the ego demands of others or ourselves. We surrender to the always-present force that urges us to be in this blissful state of inspiration. We're guided by our ultimate calling, which is truly our life purpose...

    You are a Inspiration

    Angel Feathers Tickle Me

     
  • At December 26, 2006, Blogger bulletholes said…

    You are gorgeous!!!

     
  • At December 26, 2006, Blogger Katie McKenna said…

    YOU are even more beautiful for all that you shared; the being of you! Thank you for the inspiration to be more.

     
  • At December 27, 2006, Blogger David Hodges said…

    Fantastic! You're even more beautiful than before. Wonderful job.

     
  • At December 27, 2006, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Thank you Angel Feathers - you are always an inspiration! Hope you are well...

    :-D Real beauty comes from within Steve, but thanks!

    Ah, Thanks Katie - that's such a lovely thing to say!

    David - Thanks, and thanks again!

     
  • At December 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey,
    i go to uplands,
    im in yr9. i typed in my full name and clicked on images.
    it came up with loads of things about uplands.
    how comes my name does that but no-one else's??
    bye x

     
  • At December 18, 2007, Blogger Annelisa said…

    Hi back to a fellow Uplands person!

    The only way your name might be here is if you donated or helped somehow...if you're unhappy about it, I'll be glad to remove your name...come see me at my prep room upstairs, and give me your name so I can remove it, OK?

    The names of anyone who helped were here in the first place to say thank you to all that got me to my £1000+ target, so a big thank you to you!

     
  • At May 20, 2010, Blogger 日月神教-任我行 said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home